Monday, October 20, 2008

Crucifix Tree

Five fingers of flesh
And bones made of steel
I sit here and stare
At what I must kill
I do not like pain
But a deals a deal
They'll give me my silver
If I give him the nail
I pick it up slowly
With the tip on his wrist
A grab hold his arm
And then, well... I twist
It cuts through his skin
But it doesn't go deep
So I pound and I pound
With my fists as i weep
As i hold him down
His followers mourn
Then I puncture his skull
With a crown made of thorns
In one hand a whip
The other a spear
I beat Him and beat Him
Until death is near
I pierce both his legs
And the hand that is free
Then I step back and stare
At the crucifix tree
It's a monster I've made
And I reap all the costs
The good and the bad
The gain and the loss
I have just killed my master
I cannot go home
For now I am lost
Abandoned, alone
I attempt to stand still
But can't, and run to the cross
He looks down at me
And says, "All is not lost"

1 comment:

davidlramsey said...

Powerful stuff Taylor, All of these poems are but this one in-particular gave me chills. Whatever you are doing to create this please continue.